Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Give Thanks

Phillipians 2:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 100: 1-4
Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. it is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.

1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.


When I read the verses above, it has never before been more clear that giving thanks is something we are called to do, no matter our circumstance. For most of my life it has been so easy to give thanks, because life was going just fine. When your life is turned upside down, it isn't so easy to be thankful, in fact ungratefulness can rule your heart instead. But God blesses us when we are thankful. He is faithful to us.

Since the greater part of this year has been clouded with grief and sadness, I wanted to make sure that from Thanksgiving to Christmas (often one of the hardest times of the year for IFers) I really concentrate on what I am THANKFUL for. I want to make sure that I don't allow IF to take away my peace, to rob me of the joy that I can claim because of Christ. I want God to turn my tears of pain into tears of joy, all because of who HE is and all that He has done. I know my situation is less than ideal (for me), but I have so many, many reasons to give thanks.

I am thankful for God's hand of protection over Mike's dad and my dad during their heart surgeries this year. I am thankful that my grandpa is still with us. I am thankful that Mike found a new job and that we are going to be well taken care of during our move. I am thankful for the loving family we have. I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for the diverse world I get to experience because of the people I know and the family I belong to. I am thankful that I feel healthier and younger now than I think I ever have before. I am thankful for the basics that many people in this world don't get to experience - food and shelter. I am thankful for my husband, who is amazing. I am thankful that we are standing stronger, even amidst the many trials we have faced and the stresses we've endured, largely due to IF. I am thankful for my life, I have a GREAT life, there is no one else, or nowhere else I would rather be. I am thankful for the Lord and his precious gift - isn't that reason enough to be thankful?

No comments:

Post a Comment