I've been dreaming a lot lately about what I want to do with the rest of my life. As much as I want to have a baby, being a SAHM hasn't always been my lifelong dream, and I don't know if it is my dream now. But, I also don't think i want to "work for the man" for the rest of my life either, and if I have kids, I want to call the shots on what my work life is like. I've been lucky, most of my jobs have allowed me to be very autonomous, driving my own success and allowing me to really do my own thing with my position. I think my career history has set me up well for doing something on my own.
Mike and I have always wanted to have our own business. I think we will eventually and based on both of our work experiences, I think we could be really successful. Mike will probably work his 9 to 5 job for another 10-15 years, but I would love to have a start-up in the near future and be the driving force behind it. My dream is to start some sort of cottage industry, something that will allow me to combine my passions with my business acumen. I am thinking a lot about this right now because of our upcoming move. Should I start looking for a job right away? Should I do something else? Sometimes I feel like, since I can't have what I really want, and what I really want is totally and completely out of my control......maybe I should pursue something I do have control over? I have control over what I do as an occupation, what I chose to do with my daily life, so why not decide to do what I want instead of "working for the man" as I have been for the past 12 years?
My big problem? I can't decide what to do! I am interested in too many things, some of them are just "well, wouldn't that be so fun" type of dreams, and others are more legit. So, here are some of my "dreams"
Photography business - I do not want to do child/baby photographer as it seems so many women are doing this these days. I would really like to do either photojournalism, or become a freelance photographer, or even better - a food photographer. Or, do I just keep this as a hobby and pursue it just for fun?
Florist. I am completely inspired by this blog. I have always loved flowers, and I love her style, a bit more free flowing and less structured than a traditional florist. I love her shop, and i love that she sells homemade soap too (which I also love!). I would love to do something like this. How many times did I just mention "love"?
Virtual assistant. This is a bit more practical. I could work from home doing any number of projects. It's not a very creative outlet, but probably one that would be more steady and require tangible skills that I already have (versus creative skills which I sometimes lack).
Natural Health / nutritional consultant - This has become more of a passion of mine as I continue to learn more about real nutrition and healthy and wholesome food. I LOVE food, REAL food. I can't deny it, IF has led me here, but I am glad it did. I have to admit it, when I go grocery shopping, I just cringe at what people are putting in their carts.....and we wonder why we have so many health problems in the USA? I would love to help people learn about REAL food, how eating and living well can improve your health and well-being. I am also a firm believer in alternative medicine and homeopathy - not in place of, but complementary to western medicine.
Speaking of food.....my husband and I are foodies, we both love preparing it and sharing meals with our loved ones. We have talked about opening up a restaurant or small cafe. With my husbands Middle Eastern recipes, I think we could find a niche.
Farmette - this is more my husbands dream, but I am totally on board! I think no matter what we do with our lives, a farmette is in our future!
So, there you have it. Not sure when or if I will do any of these things....but it sure fun to dream!
No comments:
Post a Comment