Monday, October 31, 2011

One less.......

Ovary. I am down an ovary, my problematic left one. Can't say I'm sad, or upset. It didn't do me much good anyways. Lefty only caused me lots of pain and produced a lot of cysts. So, Good Riddance.

My surgery was much more complicated than anticipated. It started at noon. When I regained consciousness and opened my eyes, the clock said 8:00 pm. EIGHT HOURS?????? The surgery was actually just over 6 hours long, but by the time I came back to reality it was 8:00 and i was already back in my room. Besides the ovary, they removed endo from all over, including some bowel and also my rectum. I believe both areas also had some repair work done since they were both damaged from the endo. My surgery was on Monday and I stayed at the hospital until Thursday afternoon. I can only say that most of the stay was not very pleasant. The hospital staff, nurses, etc. were great and the facilities were wonderful, but I felt like [insert expletive]! Even my amazing window view did not make up for how I felt. I was on the 7th floor and had a wonderful view of Lake Michigan and the city skyline, it was incredible. My doctor even took a picture of the view with his cell phone during one of his visits, which I thought was really funny.

After I was released from the hospital, I stayed at my parents in their guest room. Their guest room is right across the hall from the bathroom, and they live in a ranch. I knew going up and down stairs at our new house would be hard for a few days so that's why I stayed there. I finally came home yesterday. I am feeling a lot better, but still feel a bit fuzzy, and still very, very sore.

I am really hoping that this surgery will be successful and will help my endo for a long, long time, even for good. I am still amazed that we have this world renown surgeon right here in my city who does this type of surgery....I feel very thankful. Now I just want life to get back to normal. I have a 2nd job interview later this week. I was supposed to have it today, but they were very coopertive and understanding about my surgery so they pushed it back until Thursday, another huge answer to prayer.

I am also feeling all sorts of love and affection for my dear DH. He is such a trooper. The doctor had to ask his permission to remove my ovary, and I know that it was not easy for him to say yes. He is so sweet, he wrote me emails during my surgery of everything going through his head, which I ended up reading about a day or two later. I also had my first hyperventilation experience the day after surgery because of some intense pain I was having and the poor guy was so helpless but was trying so hard to help me and couldn't. I love that man. And ya, the hyperventilating was one of the scariest things that happened to me while in the hospital. I'm just glad it's over and I am home!

2 comments:

  1. Bless your heart. I'm sorry for all you had to go through, but I'm glad you are on this side of it and feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noelle, I have been thinking of you! I'm glad all went ok with surgery, that you no longer have to deal with an obnoxious ovary, and that you're on the other side and feeling better :) God bless Mike, too... these men are such troopers in the midst of tough stuff we women have to deal with! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete