I found this article an on IF forum I belong to.
Breaking the Silence on Infertility
Those of us going through IF know what this is all about. We've experienced it, we live it. Our bank accounts speak for it. Our lives are in turmoil, financially, emotionally, relationally and spiritually. Just read the comments that follow. Heartbreaking. On so many levels. Those of us going through it know. The story continues to be the same. Not only are we socially stigmatized, we are medically stigmatized. Insurance covers viagra, but not fertility treatments. Treatment is so often necessary not just to try to conceive but to treat an underlying issue or condition. I just paid $250 in May for a 20 minute phone consult with a reproductive endocrinologist aka "fertility specialist". Yep, a whole 20 minutes. And it was only a phone consult. You'd think with a title like that we were dealing with a true medical issue, but insurance doesn't see it that way.
There is one comment in particular from a woman who was never able to start her family. The isolation, rudeness, ignorance and insensitivity she has experienced from others is all too familiar.....My heart breaks for her. It breaks for me and everyone else going through this. I wish I was strong enough to be one of the vocal ones, one of the "shout from rooftop" individuals, but I am not. At least not now. I hope that God can use my infertility journey to someday be one of those people. I know He is working on me now. I know that I can't see His plan for this, but that it will unravel at the appropriate time and I will see it only then. He is teaching me to have hope and to have faith in Him, rather than questioning him. But reading this article and all the comments that follow does make me question....why all of the hurt, God? why is this so unfair to so many women? Why do so many women have to go through SO MUCH just to have something that you call a "blessing" something that you have even told us we SHOULD do??? I know I will never understand this side of heaven.
I loved this article and it actually made me break my silence. It felt so good to open up to people on facebook and gently know that we 'infertile's are out here, trying to live our lives to the best we can. Here's my post on my blog about it. http://asfastasmybabycan.blogspot.com/2010/07/article-moved-me-to-come-out.html
ReplyDelete