I can't believe Easter is coming up this weekend. Holidays are always a bit hard, just more reminders of another year going by with empty arms. I try to enjoy each holiday as we spend time with family and I reflect on what we are actually celebrating - these things help, but IF is always lurking in the background. Each holiday I look back at what I was doing this time last year, and I remember thinking "I have no idea what life will bring me or where I will be at this time next year. Will there be a child in our lives next Easter?" Each year the answer has been "no", and that is so hard. Even harder is knowing that a year from now, the answer will most likely still be "no". I have no reason to believe this year will be any different than the last, or the last, or the last or the last. I want to hope that it could be different, but experience just tells me otherwise.
Right now I feel torn between continuing with IVF or heading straight to adoption. I feel like if I give up on IVF, then I am giving up on "my" child, a child that could be, one that I am not giving a chance at life. I really do believe that we could conceive with IVF, it may take many more tries, but eventually it will work. How much time and how much $$ do we want to keep spending in this pursuit though? I know Mike really wants to try IVF at least once more, and this is something we have agreed on (we would try at least 3 times), but right now I don't feel any strong desire to it again. I would be doing it just to exhaust that option so we can move on.
In my last post I mentioned struggling with the reason we would adopt. It sounds silly, almost, as we have a blatant and obvious reason for adoption, but I struggled with believing it was reason enough. Is it ok to adopt just so that I can be a parent, is that selfish? This question really did plague me for a while. There are other people who are adopting when they don't "have to". In a way I felt so selfish because really, the only reason I am considering it is because I want to have a baby, I want to be a parent. I don't have noble reasons, I don't want to "save an orphan", I don't feel "called" to adopt not any more than the next person. I simply want to become a mom. For us, it really is a means to an end and I wondered if this was ok, or do I need to feel some sort of calling?
I prayed a lot about it and God answered, thankfully. Not only did he answer, but he confirmed for me that yes, my reasons were enough. One way God confirmed this for me was after asking this question of other women who have adopted after IF (primarily through several IF forums I subscribe to and some RL friends), I would say a good 98% of them said their reason for adopting was solely to become a parent. They didn't feel some great calling or sense of ministry in their adoption. They didn't feel "led" to adoption, but chose it because it would allow them to be parents. Another way was that after visiting several adoption websites, several of them even mentioned that adopting to "save" an orphan is actually not necessarily a good reason to adopt and that if you go into it with that mindset, you may want to reconsider why you are adopting. There are definitely other ways that God answered, but these were pretty obvious answers to me, and I felt such a huge sense of relief.
I think one of sources of my worry was that adoption has always been one of those "warm and fuzzy" topics for me. You know, you think that oh, someday I would like to adopt, AFTER I have some of my own kids. wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? Adoption, international in particular, has almost become a trendy thing to do. Isn't it so noble? But now, adoption is anything but warm and fuzzy to me. so many people toss adoption out there when they learn you can't have children. People seem to think of it as this great way to benefit your life - can't have a baby? Just adopt! do they have any idea what a profound amount of LOSS occurs in adoption? I have lost my ability to become pregnant. Mike has lost his god given right to have a son or daughter. We have lost the most precious and valuable gift that a married man and women can have. A mother has to make an unfathomable choice. She looses a biological child, she looses out on the life of that child. She feels that loss forever. That child looses his or her biological parents and forever will be different and will feel different than others. That child looses that part of his/her identity. That child looses out on being raised by his/her own biological parent. Toss all of that along with all of the pain, the waiting and heartache of IF, and adoption is anything but warm and fuzzy. It's another step in the journey, another uncertain, potentially rocky, completely intrusive, extremely expensive and possibly heartbreaking path to get to our child. With IF, there isn't "just" an easy way to have a child. Don't mistake me, I know that adoption can be a wonderful way to start a family and God can bless that path in so many ways, and may even give us an smooth adoption process, but anyone pursuing that path has to come to grips with the difficulties of that decision, on both sides. That's why whenever someone says "just adopt", I literally want to punch them.
Hello, I came through a list from another blog. I am a mother of 2 whom we adopted post IF. I read your post and thought this could have been me. I don't have a blog, but this post could have been mine. There is so much to say, but I just want to hug you and tell you that you will be a mom to the baby you are supposed to have. I kept thinking that, praying for that, and I did become one to the most special babies. It was not the way I had thought of, but I am so grateful for my IF now cuz I have the 2 I have. Blessings.
ReplyDelete